Summer Learning

We have been so busy lately we have not been keeping up with our record keeping or any other blogs.

So here is what we have been doing:

Clubhouse: Cassie and Eric are working with me to build a clubhouse out of 2x4’s and plywood. They are learning about tools, doing things in order, measuring, and a thousand other lessons. There is also the important lesson of “imagine it, plan it, work the plan and watch your dream become reality. This is such an important lesson for our family and our kid’s education. It started as an idea and they watched and helped as it became a reality.

Reading: Cassie is reading more and also writing notes. Writing to communicate is a milestone. She still gets flustered at pages of words, but can read short messages quite confidently. Eric plays a lot of video games, but he knows he needs to take a break and read daily. He usually has a few books going at any given time. Stephanie reads every day and also plays video games that require reading. She has really got Eric into Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney. He is interested in a career in law at this point.

Games: Eric likes his new game Wario DIY (Do it Yourself). It is a game that lets you make up your own mini-game and create and play it. He loves anything that helps him create instead of just enjoying others’ creations. He loves Scribblenaughts, powder game, flipnotes, and now Wario’s DIY. He is excited to show me his newest game and I am excited to see it!

Math: I have been putting math questions to the kids whenever I can, which is every day. I get them to think of how to formulate a math question so they can use a formula to get the answer. Eric is getting more confident in his math skills as he finds he has the ability to think things through and get the correct answer. He needs confidence boosters.

We are learning places (tens ones and hundreds) at the same time as the basic concepts of subtraction, addition, multiplication and division. Eric is behind in math so it works out real good that Cassie is learning things and Eric can get his remedial learning done by tapping into her lesson, thereby allowing him to learn without embarrassment. He is ahead of her in some conceptual areas, but they are really close in terms of math ability. Some of the problems we do in our heads as we drive, and some are done with paper and pencil as I show them the places and try to present carrying without hurting their heads or mine. Sometimes I would like to turn them over to a math tutor. That could still happen—later.

Stephanie still dives and learns about running the spearfishing shop while we wait for word from the bank. We have business discussions and strategy sessions. I value her input and she will have some influence in decisions if we end up running the store.  She has plans to play paintball with youth group on Saturday.

She and I have conversations about history, literature, music, science, current events, math and other relevant subjects. I am deliberate about asking her things we have talked about to test her comprehension and retention. I guess she retains about 80% of what I teach her and the remaining 20% she needs a nudge. But she remembers theories and concepts especially well. So some facts fall between the cracks, but the ideas are rooted in fertile soil. 

Life goes on and learning is not segregated from living and doing.

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Accountability

We have decided to start this journal to keep track of our children's life lessons learned in our homeschool journey. We believe that as parents we are accountable for our own children's education. It is up to us to make sure we prepare them to be active and responsible citizens, not a drain on society. So this blog will be a place where we can share our daily lessons and activities that we incorporate into our homeschool.


About Me

Colleen
Mother to 9 children, 5 on earth and 4 in heaven. Married for 32 years.
View my complete profile
Unschooling is learning as you live life. All of life involves learning. This is what we "teach" our children.

Followers


Recent Comments